About Me

My photo
Political Bio: My sincere goal (outside of getting an A in this class to further my education/ quest for a degree) is to expand my tiny view of our government and the society surrounding me. After taking the "civics quiz" I scored a 63.64%, and after taking the "current events" quiz I scored 8 out of 13. Both scores are disappointing, but actually quite realistic as to what I view my scope of knowledge about our government to be. I find my political views to be quite moderate. I am definitely fiscally republican, but find myself agreeing on with democrats on most social issues. You could definitely say that I am apart of the "swing vote". I do actively vote in most elections, and I do vote emphatically (that is to say that I do not feel "torn" about who or what to vote for when the time comes).

Monday, February 27, 2012

 
In a February 27th USA Today article, the often discussed topic of our first amendment rights being challenged is brought to light once again.  The article addresses the circumstances of the United States White House giving 135 million dollars in grant money to New York’s HIDTA program (High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area program).  However, this program with essentially good intentions of fighting drug gangs and their supply routes, has not received the entirety of that money.  Recently uncovered documents have shown that some of this money has been funneled into an undercover operation by the NYPD to profile Muslims in their neighborhoods, schools, and churches. 
                This article is a very interesting read because of the issues that can potentially arise from racial profiling and religious persecution.   Such profiling seems to come into direct conflict with our first amendment rights and our right to religious freedom and our right to peacefully assemble.  While the article does not address any specific crimes or persons that have been prosecuted, it does show clear intent by the NYPD and the United States government to “bend the rules” in order to maintain safety.  But does that safety come at a cost of our civil liberties?  The article’s relevance to me is because I have, and still do champion the efforts of our fore-fathers and the freedoms and liberties that we have.  Little by little, our liberties that some of us take for granted are being slowly stripped away from us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment